“Out came the official notebook” [WIST]
As we know from experience with Jonas Oldacre, when a builder puts his mind to something, he can really go far.
In the case of Raymond Farney though, it concerns something that began as a personal project but ended up becoming a book — a reference book of more than 600 pages: A Study in Sherlock - Watson's Notebook.
This unique tome is a wonderful companion to anyone who's reading the Sherlock Holmes canon, either for pleasure or for research purposes. We highlight some uses, ponder with Ray over the amount of time Watson spent at 221B Baker Street, and consider the possibilities of a follow-up work.
We announce the winner of last episode's Canonical Couplet (a LEGO figure and book are headed their way) and introduce another one. Some material from the bulging vaults at IHOSE headquarters will go to the winner of yet another couplet we share in this episode.
Send your answer to comment @ ihearofsherlock .com by July 29, 2023 at 11:59 a.m. EST. All listeners are eligible to play.
Special bonus content: We have a poll for our Patreon supporters. If you'd like to add your voice, consider supporting us for as little as $1 a month.
- Wessex Press/Gasogene Books is the premier publisher of books about Sherlock Holmes and Arthur Conan Doyle.
- MX Publishing brings the best in new Sherlock Holmes novels, biographies, graphic novels and short story collections every month. With over 400 books it's the largest catalogue of new Sherlock Holmes books in the world.
- This episode: ihose.co/ihose268
- A Study in Sherlock - Watson's Notebook by Raymond G. Farney (Amazon)
- Also available on Facebook, Tumblr, and Twitter
- News about Paxton Whitehead, Worldwide Doyle 2023, and Trifles Episode 27: Rebellion!
- Previous Episodes mentioned:
- Episode 144: Historical Sherlock (with Vincent Wright)