“an historical curiosity” [MUSG]
Vincent W. Wright has stumbled across what can only be described as a remarkable piece of scholarship. In fact, it may be the very first example of its kind.
Sherlockians have long considered "the Game" to have begun under the scholarship of Msgr. Ronald A. Knox in 1911. But as researchers keep digging, much like archaeologists, they're finding information that steers them in new directions.
We discuss Vincent's methods, his sources, and what he sees as fertile ground for additional research.
Get your Canonical Couplet here! We have two lines of poetry for you; all that remains is for you to determine which Sherlock Holmes story they represent. Send your answer to comment @ ihearofsherlock .com by February 14, 2022 at 11:59 a.m. EST. The winner will receive a prize of historical interest from the IHOSE vaults. All listeners are eligible to play.
Download [Save As] | File size 32.9MB, 1:08:55
- This episode: ihose.co/ihose233
- Historical Sherlock blog
- "The World's First Sherlockian Scholar?"
- The First Sherlock Holmes Scholar Ever? (YouTube)
- TIMELINES, the newsletter of The Sherlockian Chronologist Guild
- Private Parts: The Ratings Scene (YouTube)
- Other episodes mentioned: