"actors in this drama" [SECO]
You've seen their likenesses in still photos. You've probably heard their voices in audio recordings. And you've had a chance to see their films from the late 1930s and early 1940s, whether in the theater, as a Saturday afternoon matinee on television, public TV pledge drive, or perhaps on a DVD or on YouTube.
The point is this: regardless of your level of fondness or distaste for this pairing, they remain iconic and inextricably linked to their portrayals of the world's greatest detective and his medical companion. Yes, it was Nigel Bruce's version of Dr. Watson that was called boobus Britannicus, but it seemed to fit with the times and with the air of the series.
We take you on a journey from their initial outing in The Hound of the Baskervilles and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes in 1939 at 20th Century Fox, to their radio drama collaboration under Edith Meiser and later Anthony Boucher, and through the 12-film series under the Universal banner. Audio clips from the films and the radio show are included as we All of these portrayals left a permanent mark on their careers as well as on the world of Sherlock Holmes.
Information on sponsors, links, timing notes and transcript available below.
And please consider joining our Patreon community. Your support helps us to ensure we can keep doing what we do, covering file hosting costs, production, and this year, transcription services.
SponsorsThis episode includes our two longtime sponsors, plus a new addition. Please support our sponsors by visiting their sites:
- Sherlock Holmes and the Cryptic Clues: A Grave Undertaking by Michael McClure. You should buy it. We're deadly serious.
- Wessex Press, publishers of The Drury Lane Theatre Mystery by Inspector Lestrade himself, Dennis Hoey.
- The Baker Street Journal, which has been published since the same year as the last of Rathbone/Bruce films.
Would you care to become a sponsor? You can find more information here.
Download [Save As] | File size 45.2 MB, 1:38:20
7:15 Sponsor: Wessex Press
9:00 The definitive Holmes and Watson for generations
10:56 The Collaboration begins
17:56 The Adventures
26:30 Off to radio-land
31:35 Universal steps in after negotiating with the Conan Doyle Estate
35:44 The Voice of Terror
42:44 The Secret Weapon
50:12 Sherlock Holmes in Washington
55:17 Sherlock Holmes Faces Death
59:06 Sponsor: Sherlock Holmes and the Cryptic Clues
1:03:13 The Spider Woman
1:06:03 The Scarlet Claw and the BSI Trilogy Dinner
1:08:35 The Pearl of Death
1:11:52 The House of Fear
1:13:37 The Woman in Green
1:18:24 Pursuit to Algiers
1:20:50 Terror by Night
1:23:31 Dressed to Kill
1:33:18 An important message from the BSJ
1:34:44 Your support means a great deal to us
- The Complete Collection of Sherlock Holmes on Blu-Ray (Amazon)
- The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes on radio
- Our interview with Michael Hoey, son of Dennis Hoey.
- Rathbone's autobiography In and Out of Character
- Rathbone's visit to the Wayne Campus
- An interview with Pauline Page, daughter of Nigel Bruce, by Nicholas Utechin for the Sherlock Holmes Journal, concerning Bruce's unpublished autobiography Games, Gossip and Greasepaint.
Please subscribe to us on iTunes, Google Play, Soundcloud, Stitcher or Spreaker and be kind enough to leave a rating or review for the show. And please tell a friend about us, in any fashion you feel comfortable.
Your thoughts on the show? Leave a comment below, send us an email (comment AT ihearofsherlock DOT com), call us at (774) 221-READ (7323).