"See how beautifully the spring works" [STUD]
Spring is here! Suh-per-ing is here! Life is skittles and life is beer...
You may not have realized this, but more than a quarter of the Sherlock Holmes stories occurred in the spring. We took the opportunity to call out a few of them an delve into why the season worked as both a setting for the stories and as tool to juxtapose Holmes and Watson.
Of course, we don't stop there, as we chat about what our 100th episode may contain (just four episodes away!), a trending book topic on Twitter, the masterful scholarship that William S. Baring-Gould leveraged to determine his chronology, and welcome special guests Tom Lehrer and Orson Welles.
The Sherlockian news is here to get you caught up, our Gas-Lamp is from the current issue of the Baker Street Journal (Vol. 66, No. 1), Rob Nunn joins us as a
Our special thanks goes out to Mary Miller for her extraordinary Patreon support! Won't you join her and others by clicking on the button?
Notes1:50 Welcome / witty banter
2:45 "Burning Leaves in Spring" by Christopher Morley
7:21 Preparing for our 100th episode
9:23 Sponsor #1: Wessex Press
13:28 Discussing the stories from the Sherlock Holmes stories in the spring
According to William S. Baring-Gould, the following stories took place in the spring (March 21-June 20): SCAN, IDEN, BOSC, SPEC, COPP, YELL, STOC, REIG, FINA, EMPT, SOLI, PRIO, 3STU, WIST, 3GAB, SHOS
34:41 A special guest waxes poetic on the power of peas
41:10 What's wrong with this date?
43:37 Sponsor #2: The Baker Street Journal
46:38 The Sherlockian news
1:00:14 Sponsor #3: Amanda Lester, Detective
1:02:24 Mental Exaltation quiz show
1:08:28 The Editor's Gas-Lamp
1:14:47 Important announcements
1:17:58 A preview of Episode #97
SponsorsThis episode includes our two longtime sponsors and a special sponsor who is supporting us for the first half of this year:
- The Wessex Press, featuring Sherlockian Heresies
- The Baker Street Journal, where you should get your annual subscription in now to secure all four issues plus the Christmas Annual.
- And Paula Berinstein's Amanda Lester, Detective series for young adults.
Would you care to become a sponsor? You can find more information here.
Download [Save As] | File size 38.1 MB, 1:21:49
- Chimney Smoke by Christopher Morley
- 100th episode event link on Facebook
- Episode 68 and Episode 69 with Bert Coules
- Orson Welles outtakes and Rosebud Frozen Peas
- Who Is The Real Sherlock Holmes?
- Authors Reflect on Volume IV of the MX Book of New Sherlock Holmes Stories
- An old interview with Jeremy Brett
- Arthur Conan Doyle: 19 Things You Didn't Know
- A Special Discount for Scintillation of Scions IX
- A Review of A Study in Charlotte
- Leave us a rating or review on iTunes by going here
- The I Hear of Sherlock Everywhere Patreon page
Many more links, articles and images are available in our Flipboard and Scoop.it sites at ihose.co/flipsherlock and ihose.co/scoopsherlock, as well as on the The Sherlock Holmes Community on Google+ (now over 3,600 members), as well as through our accounts on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter and Tumblr.
Please subscribe to us on iTunes, Google Play, Soundcloud, Stitcher or Spreaker and be kind enough to leave a rating or review for the show. And please tell a friend about us, in any fashion you feel comfortable.
Your thoughts on the show? Leave a comment below, send us an email (comment AT ihearofsherlock DOT com), call us at (774) 221-READ (7323).