"not enough to hold her back" [YELL]
We decided to pick a handful of news (and non-news) stories related to Sherlock Holmes and go to town. From Stephen Fry's recent audio recordings of the stories to using the Canon as a modern-day text for would-be Joseph Bells in training, to British shows available via a new streaming service in the US, to Sherlock Holmes as a model for writers — these stories and more make up our paean to the great detective.
We freely admit in this episode that we were unable to get Stephen Fry to join us for an interview on IHOSE. Perhaps something can be done?
Plus, Lyndsay Faye inspired our Gas-Lamp with her piece "Why We Can't Get Enough of Sherlock Holmes."
And we're beginning to feature full transcripts of each episode. You'll find the transcript for Episode 116 below.
And please consider joining our Patreon community. Your support helps us to ensure we can keep doing what we do, covering file hosting costs, production, and this year, transcription services.
SponsorsThis episode includes our two longtime sponsors. Please support our sponsors by visiting their sites:
- Wessex Press, home of the ever-expanding Sherlock Holmes and Conan Doyle in the Newspapers, now at Volume 3.
- The Baker Street Journal, where we certainly can't get enough of Sherlock Holmes, as the publication continues at the same strong pace since 1946.
Would you care to become a sponsor? You can find more information here.
Download [Save As] | File size 30.8 MB, 1:06:46
1:33 Welcome back!
3:28 The smellier side of Baker Street
7:04 Listener mail and how we choose our images
12:03 Wessex Press
13:38 Stephen Fry has recorded Sherlock Holmes stories on audio
18:54 An excerpt from Stephen Fry reading The Sign of Four
22:40 Actors reading the Canon
26:40 Getting Stephen Fry on IHOSE?
27:45 The case to make Sherlock Holmes required reading
29:45 Atul Gawande on Watson
31:58 BritBox: new streaming service
40:05 Baker Street Journal
41:56 Holmes and writing: choose, focus, become an idiot
46:06 Real life myths and mysteries: the Hound Tor
52:12 Peter Weller's Hunting the Hound
1:03:07 Don't forget...
- Stephen Fry Reads the Complete Sherlock Holmes on Audible (ihearofsherlock.com)
- Sherlock Holmes: Read by Stephen Fry (Audible)
- The Ode Less Travelled (Amazon)
- Episode 40: One Voice of Sherlock Holmes (IHOSE)
- The Case to Make Sherlock Holmes Required Reading (Daily Utah Chronicle)
- BritBox comes to the U.S. (VentureBeat)
- Sherlock Holmes and Mastery of the Craft of Writing (Copyblogger)
- Hounds of the Baskervilles: Real Life Myths and Mysteries of Dartmoor’s Famous “Hound Tor” (Mysterious Universe)
- The Hound of the Baskervilles: Hunting the Dartmoor Legend - Reviewed (Baker Street Dozen)
- Why the World Can't Get Enough Sherlock Holmes (Bookish)
- The Whole Art of Detection: Lost Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes by Lyndsay Faye (Amazon)
Please subscribe to us on iTunes, Google Play, Soundcloud, Stitcher or Spreaker and be kind enough to leave a rating or review for the show. And please tell a friend about us, in any fashion you feel comfortable.
Your thoughts on the show? Leave a comment below, send us an email (comment AT ihearofsherlock DOT com), call us at (774) 221-READ (7323).