“there were several objects in the room which called for special attention” [BLAC]
Collecting must be in the air: following our last episode with Rebecca Romney talking about Sherlockian collecting, we have with us the legendary Sherlockian collector Glen Miranker, BSI ("The Origin of Tree Worship"), who is staging an exhibit in conjunction with the Grolier Club in January.
The exhibition is "Sherlock Holmes in 221 Objects" and will run from January 12 - April 16, 2022. Glen and his wife Cathy Miranker curated the 221 objects, selected from Glen's impressive trove of over 8,000 items.
You'll hear how he came to acquire some of those objects, how he (or rather his erstwhile conscience) decides when to add an item to the collection, what it's like to prepare his most precious items to be loaned to an institution, and what to expect at the exhibition.
[Note: we did encounter a bit of sound disruption in during the recording; consider it akin to the static you might hear in old time radio shows.]
To honor Glen's appearance, our Canonical Couplet will get the winner a collectible from the IHOSE vaults. Answers are due by November 14, 2021 at 11:59 a.m. EDT.
Download [Save As] | File size 34.6 MB, 1:08:07
- Dan Andriacco has a new edition in the McCabe-Cody series: No Ghosts Need Apply, available on September 28.
- Wessex Press is the premier publisher of books about Sherlock Holmes and Arthur Conan Doyle, including The Annotated White Company by Doug Elliott and Roy Pilot.
- MX Publishing has plenty of books for the holidays. But if you want to ensure it arrives in time, consider their collection of audio books.
- This episode: ihose.co/ihose227
- Sherlock Holmes in 221 Objects
- Companion book: Sherlock Holmes in 221 Objects by Cathy Miranker & Glen Miranker
- The Grolier Club
- Listing of Grolier Club events
- The Booksellers
- Jack Benny's vault
- Otto Presents Sherlock Holmes
- Previous episodes mentioned: