The chatfest with Peter Blau continues as we enjoy more conversation in an even more interesting vein, if you can imagine. If you missed Part 1, you can find it here. From the early days of the BSI to radio connections, professional societies, collecting and traditions, and even Sherlock Holmes in a far-flung place, Peter gives his unique perspective.
Topics in this episode:
1:52 Meeting Rex Stout at the BSI dinner and the resulting shift in the paperback book industry
7:05 Sherlock Holmes on radio
10:13 The Practical, But Limited Geologists and other professional Sherlockian societies
13:30 Some interesting books
15:04 Peter's collecting interests
17:00 An annual Sherlockian Christmas tradition
23:50 Sherlock Holmes in the Smithsonian Institution - and beyond!
30:52 What are your society's traditions?
31:54 The Editor's Gas-Lamp: June 1982, Vol. 32, No. 2 - Peter Blau's first Gas Lamp as editor of the BSJ
- Rex Stout and The Doorbell Rang
- Jean Shepherd
- Reference to "F.U." from The House of Cards Trilogy
- Sherlockian Calendar of Events
- Sherlockian Societies worldwide
- The Secret Marriage of Sherlock Holmes and Other Eccentric Readings
- "That any civilized human being in this nineteenth century should not be aware that the earth travelled round the sun appeared to me to be such an extraordinary fact that I could hardly realize it."
- Get your own Sherlockian calendar at The Sherlock Store
Download this episode by right-clicking the icon and selecting "Save As..." (File size: 37.88 MB, 41:19)