“For three hours we strolled about together” [RESI]
As we continue our look at some of the early Baker Street Irregulars associated with The Baker Street Journal (we began with its publisher Ben Abramson in Episode 269), we turn to Christopher Morley.
Morley was the right man at the right time with the right attitude, and Steven Rothman, BSI, 2s. ("The Valley of Fear") is the foremost expert on this legend of the BSJ.
We look at Morley's early life, his influences, his literary works, and his popularity leading up to and through the time of the establishment of Sherlockian societies.
There are Sherlockian news headlines and the ever-present Canonical Couplet. Did you win last time? Will you win this time? The winner will receive something Morley-esque.
Send your answer to comment @ ihearofsherlock .com by September 29, 2023 at 11:59 a.m. EST. All listeners are eligible to play.
If you become a Patron of the Arts, not only will you help to ensure we can keep doing what we do, covering file hosting costs, production, and transcription services, but we have thank-you gifts at certain tiers and ad-free versions of the episodes for all patrons.
- Wessex Press/Gasogene Books is the premier publisher of books about Sherlock Holmes and Arthur Conan Doyle.
- MX Publishing brings the best in new Sherlock Holmes novels, biographies, graphic novels and short story collections every month. With over 400 books it's the largest catalogue of new Sherlock Holmes books in the world.
- This episode: ihose.co/ihose272
- The Standard Doyle Company: Christopher Morley on Sherlock Holmes
- Three Hours for Lunch: The Life and Times of Christopher Morley
- Fifth Avenue Bus: A Whole Library of Christopher Morley
- Prefaces Without Books
- Other episodes mentioned: