“Well up in belladonna, opium, and poisons generally” [STUD]
There's a large number of Sherlock Holmes stories that involve poisons or toxins. Once you begin to tally them up, you may be surprised, as was our guest in this episode.
Marina Stajic, BSI ("Curare"), ASH ("Lady Frances Carfax") has written and presented extensively on Sherlock Holmes and poisons. Her chosen profession makes her the ideal individual to do this: she was a forensic toxicologist. Her Sherlockian scholarship has appeared in The Baker Street Journal, The Sherlock Holmes Journal, The Serpentine Muse, and numerous BSI Press books.
Marina joined us to talk about the confluence of her career and her Sherlockian interests, her assessment of Sherlock Holmes's abilities regarding poisons and toxins, and shares the story behind her infamous display of Edwardian undergarments.
It looks like last episode's big surprise caught our listeners' attention: we have a winner of the the Canonical Couplet quiz — plus a new puzzle for you to solve. A prize from the IHOSE vaults awaits for the person who identifies the Sherlock Holmes story based on two lines of poetry and whose answer is randomly selected.
Send your answer to comment @ ihearofsherlock .com by March 29, 2023 at 11:59 a.m. EST. The winner will be chosen at random from among all the correct answers. All listeners are eligible to play.
Download [Save As] | File size: 96.8 MB, 1:10:32
Listen to I Hear of Sherlock Everywhere anywhere
- Wessex Press/Gasogene Books is the premier publisher of books about Sherlock Holmes and Arthur Conan Doyle.
- MX Publishing is a publishing dynamo, with new titles every week. They're sure to have loads of options for your Sherlock Holmes-related needs.
- This episode: ihose.co/ihose260
- Stimulating Medicine: More Nerve and Knowledge (BSI Press)
- The Haven Horror (BSI Press)
- Nerve and Knowledge: Doctors, Medicine, and the Sherlockian Canon (BSI Press)
- Sherlock Holmes is Like: Sixty Comparisons for an Incomparable Character (Amazon)
- Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz - Speedy (YouTube)
Post a Comment