"Oh, he has a European fame, has he?" [REDC]
While Sherlock Holmes is firmly rooted in London, the connections to Europe in the Sherlock Holmes stories are many. But have you ever stopped to ponder, as a whole, how mentions of the Continent and various European countries stack up? You might be surprised.
Travel with us as Burt and Scott take a deeper look into some of the European influences that Conan Doyle infused into the various stories. From Moriarty's European reputation to the "European situation" mentioned in "The Second Stain." What was so delicate at the time and who was Lord Bellinger? We note how refugees were treated in Europe in the time of The Valley of Fear. We even do an accounting of Holmes's fine work for many of the royal houses of Europe.
In addition, we treat you to a rundown of some Sherlock Holmes news, we welcome Steve Mason as our quiz contestant and have a special themed Gas-Lamp from The Sherlock Holmes Journal to fall in line with our European topic. All this and more!
As usual, we couldn't do this without the significant support of Mary Miller for her extraordinary Patreon support! If you contribute at Mary's level, you get mentioned on the show. But we welcome any amount of support that you can muster.
Notes1:50 Hello and the perils of punctuation
3:52 Current celebrations in London
5:18 Brexit and The Now Show
8:33 Sponsor: The Baker Street Journal
10:45 Europe and Sherlock Holmes
13:00 WARNING: Two bad dad jokes within 30 seconds of each other
17:30 What was going on in Europe during the events of 'The Second Stain'
23:33 Europe and London as central characters
36:55 Holmes never ate chocolate (perhaps to avoid memories of Switzerland)
39:30 Two Sherlock Holmes museums in Switzerland
44:07 Sponsor: Wessex Press
45:17 Sherlock Holmes in the news
56:18 Sponsor: Amanda Lester, Detective
57:35 Mental Exaltation
1:12:20 Final thoughts - please take our survey
SponsorsThis episode includes our two longtime sponsors and a special sponsor who is supporting us for the first half of this year:
- The Wessex Press, featuring Sherlock Holmes, Conan Doyle and the Newspapers
- The Baker Street Journal, where you should get your annual subscription in now to secure all four issues plus the Christmas Annual.
- And Paula Berinstein's Amanda Lester, Detective series for young adults.
Would you care to become a sponsor? You can find more information here.
Download [Save As] | File size 35.9 MB, 1:18:26
- Vanity Fair on What Queen Elizabeth’s 90 Years of Royal Portraits Tell Us About the Monarch
- The Now Show
- 12 Literary Hotels for Book Lovers
- Toby Jones will play Culverton Smith in Series 4 of Sherlock
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar will write a Mycoft Holmes comic book series
- Why does gin and tonic taste so good?
- Favorite, Best and Strongest Stories - and their opposites
- Harper Collins falsely accuses Conan Doyle of plagiarism
- Leave us a rating or review on iTunes by going here
- The I Hear of Sherlock Everywhere Patreon page
- The IHOSE listener survey
Many more links, articles and images are available in our Flipboard and Scoop.it sites at ihose.co/flipsherlock and ihose.co/scoopsherlock, as well as on the The Sherlock Holmes Community on Google+ (with over 3,700 members), as well as through our accounts on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter and Tumblr.
Please subscribe to us on iTunes, Google Play, Soundcloud, Stitcher or Spreaker and be kind enough to leave a rating or review for the show. And please tell a friend about us, in any fashion you feel comfortable.
Your thoughts on the show? Leave a comment below, send us an email (comment AT ihearofsherlock DOT com), call us at (774) 221-READ (7323).